Movie Review: Becoming Jane

Friday, May 23, 2008 by Audrey
I recently signed up for Netflix, and so far, my subscription has been worth its weight in gold. I rented all of the recent Masterpiece Theater adaptations of Jane Austen--I missed them when they were actually on. There are a lot of BBC miniseries and adaptations I've been wanting to see--some that I've even checked out from the library, but never found the time to finish. Netflix is great because there are no due dates, and if you rent enough movies, it's way cheaper than going down to Blockbuster.

The most recent Netflix arrival was Becoming Jane. Several people (including a sister, I think--M, was that you?) told me that it was worth seeing, and I was excited. But after seeing it, I have to admit that I was kind of...underwhelmed? I guess? I don't feel that the characters were fleshed out as well as they could have been. I didn't see a lot of depth in the relationship between Jane Austen and Tom Lefroy, and I had a hard time seeing why Jane fell for him so hard, except for that he's James McAvoy, who I find quite attractive (although that may have been because Charlotte was crawling all over me at the beginning). I feel like they were trying to fit to many relationship twists into one movie, I guess. And knowing the end (spoiler, for those few people who haven't already seen it--I know I was a little late--Jane Austen never marries) I tried hard not to get invested in the relationship, because I knew it was eventually going to end. It was enjoyable, but not one that I think I'll ever see again.

3/5 stars.
Posted in Labels: | 0 Comments »

No comments: