Third Five Books of 2009

Sunday, February 15, 2009 by Audrey
11. Anybody Out There?, by Marian Keyes. Finished January 19.
About a wife's journey through grief after the death of her husband, this chick lit book was a quick, touching read. Not groundbreaking, but good.
1 day.

12. Operation Sherlock, by Bruce Coville. Finished January 21.
This is a book I loved when I was in elementary school. I had it built up in my head as this fantastic book. But it's out of print, and my local library doesn't have it, so I never had a chance to re-read it until I found it on Amazon for dirt cheap. Unfortunately, it didn't meet my expectations. There's a reason it's out of print--it's a book about Artificial Intelligence, but it was published in 1986. It was still a fun read, but the technology was so ludicrously out of date that it was hard to be immersed in the story. I have the other two in the trilogy, and I'll eventually get around to reading them, but they're definitely low on my priority list!
2 hours.

13. Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson and Oliver Relin. Finished February 1.
A very moving account of one man's attempts to build schools in poor regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan. He believes, and I agree, that education, not war, is the best way to stop the growth of terrorism in the Middle East--it was interesting to read of his successes!
3 weeks.

14. The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - and Why, by Amanda Ripley. Finished February 10.
This completely fascinating book looked at the way people have behaved in multiple disasters in the last 30 years or so--what makes people panic? Why are some people heroes while others completely freeze? I've always had a kind of morbid preference in my choice of reading materials (ask me sometime about my month-long obsession with reading about gangs in L.A.!) and this was no exception, but I was engrossed in it (or, as engrossed as it's possible to be while also moving! Coming soon--pictures of my new apartment. As soon as I remember to take pictures while it's still light outside. That's a definite problem with my only camera being the one on my phone.).
1 week.

15. The Mysterious Benedict Society, by Trenton Lee Stewart. Finished February 15.
I gave this book to my lovely sister for Christmas and borrowed it from her to see how good it was. I liked it. Didn't love it, but I definitely liked it.
3 days.
Posted in | 0 Comments »

No comments: