Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 by Audrey


I am currently obsessed with the band Of Montreal. OBSESSED, I tell you! I love Kevin Barnes so much. He writes these bleak lyrics about depression and sadness and heartbreak and sets them to really funky (as in, the funk movement), upbeat tunes. It makes me happy to listen to them.

Selected lyrics from their album "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?":

The Past is a Grotesque Animal
"it's so embarrassing to need someone like i do you
how can i explain i need you here and not here too
I'm flunking out i'm gone i'm just gone
but at least i author my own disaster
performance breakdown and i don't want to hear it
i'm just not available things could be different but they're not"

A Sentence of Sorts in Konsvinger
"i spent the winter with my nose buried in a book
while trying to restructure my character
cause it had become vile to it's creator
and through many dreadful i nights i lay praying to a saint
that nobody has heard of
and waiting for some high times to come again"

This one makes me laugh every time I hear it:
She's a Rejecter
"There's the girl that left me bitter
Want to pay some other girl to just walk up to her and hit her
But I can't I can't I can't"

Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse
"i'm in a crisis i need help come on mood shift shift back to good again
come on be a friend"

Gronlandic Edit
"i am satisfied hiding in our friends apartment
only leaving once a day to buy some groceries
daylight i'm so absent minded nighttime meeting new anxieties
so am i erasing myself? hope i'm not erasing myself"
Posted in | 0 Comments »

No comments: