Scary Read Recommendations, Anyone?

Monday, January 2, 2012 by Audrey
Last night I read The Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson (famous for her short story The Lottery; I had to read it in high school, and I'm sure a lot of other people did too). I don't know if I've ever read another story that terrified me as badly as this one did, at least not in a few years. I'm talking bodily terror, heart palpitations, the whole shebang. And I loved it. I don't watch horror movies, because the sounds and visual depictions of the gore are not particularly enjoyable for me. So, I rely on books for my terror. I haven't been truly scared reading a book since I read through much of Stephen King's oeuvre during my first year of college.

What I need is this: recommendations for other scary novels. I'm not looking for horror novels, where you're grossed out by gore and the aftermath of a terrible event. What I want is a terror novel, where the fright is generated from the dread and anticipation of something you know is coming, before it actually happens. (See Wikipedia, "horror and terror", for what I mean.)

Anyone have any good recommendations?
Posted in | 1 Comment »

1 comment:

Wixom Hawaii Property said...

Thanks for the scary reccomendation. I'm downloading it to kindle now. It is not the style I usually read, Austin and Heyer are my favs, oh and recently found an Austin wannabe I like, Catherine Hern. Her books are real cheap on kindle, and fast readers. I will let you know what I think.