Tenth, Eleventh, and Twelfth Five Books of 2009

Friday, August 7, 2009 by Audrey
46. Mystic River, by Dennis LeHane. Finished 5/13/09.
A little violent and bleak for my taste. Written beautifully, though.
3 days

47. Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow. Finished 5/23/09.
An enjoyable, if a bit didactic, read about the threats of government surveillance on civilian life. I loved reading it online at the writer's website.
2 days.

48. Temple and Cosmos, by Hugh Nibley. Finished 5/24/09.
Hugh Nibley's insights are always fascinating to me. The amount of research he did over the course of his life is just staggering to a lazy person like me. And, Josh, you finally got your book back! Thanks.
1.5 years. That's right.

49. Book of Enchantments, by Patricia C. Wrede. Finished 5/27/09.
A quick comfort re-read. Great, as always.
2 hours.

50. Woman: An Intimate Geography, by Natalie Angier. Finished 6/21/09.
An interesting look at anatomy and history of views on the way the female body works. Too bad her misandry and overt feminism kind of colored the book too much.
1 month

51. The Blue Sword, by Robin McKinley. Finished 6/27/09.
Another quick comfort re-read. I love Robin McKinley so much.
2 weeks?

52. Bitten, by Pamela Nagami. Finished 7/10/09.
An interesting series of chapters on different poisonous bites and stings. I know I could never move to Australia--did you know the world's most poisonous/venomous species all live there? Not to mention the gigantic spiders? Yeurgh.
1 week.

53. The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Finished 7/10/09.
Surprisingly enough, I never read this one in high school. I'd recently heard some good things about it (Thanks, Sheila O'Malley!) It took me ages to get into it--in the version I have (is it even part of every edition?) there was this really long introduction to the story by Nathaniel Hawthorne as a postmaster? something? that I just couldn't get into. Once the actual story started, I was hooked. So, if you're going to read this, stick it out until the actual story of Hester Prynne. It's worth it.

Months. and months. and months. It felt interminable.

54. In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote. Finished 7/16/09.
A fascinating look at the details of a 1950s murder, from conception to the (spoiler alert!) execution of the killers.
1 week.

55. Love Letters: An Anthology, edited by Antonia Fraser. Finished 7/30/09.
I bought this book when I was back at BYU and I saw it in the bargain section of the bookstore. I love Antonia Fraser's histories, so I figured that any letters she would pick would be great. I was right (once I finally got around to reading it!). It was fascinating to see actual letters from famous historical figures as diverse as Abelard and Heloise, James Joyce, and Kafka. I recommend it.
2 weeks.

56. Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. Finished 7/31/09.
Loved it! I also recommend the latest movie.
2 weeks.

57. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, by Alexander Solzhenitzyn. Finished 8/3/09.
I've always loved reading books about the Gulag and/or concentration camps. Yes, I realize I could be considered morbid in my reading interests, but you know, that's okay. Reading these books brings me a greater appreciation of the freedom I do have.
2 days.

58. Decline and Fall, by Evelyn Waugh. Finished 8/6/09.
When I think of British humorists from the 1910s-1930s, the first two that come to my mind are P.G. Wodehouse and Evelyn Waugh. Sadly, I think I like Wodehouse better. I liked this, but I kept comparing the two authors. Also, it took me a while to get to a point in the book where I was sure I was going to like it; with Wodehouse, that feeling is immediate.
3 days.

59. Night, by Elie Wiesel. Finished 8/6/09.
Continuing along the morbid Eastern Europe track. It's still unbelievable to me that people can do so much evil in the world as Hitler did. We're lucky to live where we do now.
1 hour.

60. A Damsel in Distress, by P.G. Wodehouse. Finished 8/7/09.
Enjoyable light read that kept me laughing at loud. Which is a problem when you're reading it online at work (thanks, Online-literature.com!). I had to stifle my laughter. Start reading Wodehouse's books now! You will not regret it.
3 days.
Posted in | 4 Comments »

4 comments:

Joshua Tolley said...

...and boy, did I ever start missing that book! Ok, I'm not sure I even noticed the gap in the series, much less the actual absence of that particular book. But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Audrey said...

I figured you didn't mourn its absence for too long, but it's good to have that opinion corroborated. :)

Julia said...

haha, the new Jane Eyre movie is really good. But if you look on the cover there is a quote that says something to the effect of "just the right amount of heaving bodices". That's a great reccomendation eh?

Audrey said...

Hey, I would read it after reading a recommendation like that!