Books read in 2010 (so far)

Monday, May 31, 2010 by Audrey
Here we go! A lot of these were for classes, and I'll link you to other reviews I've written if I have them. I also include them all on Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1642817) if you want to see what star rating I've given them. It's been a good year for books--I've liked the majority of what I've read.

Stats:
  • 77 books (I'm totally going to beat last year's record, especially since I'm taking a children's lit class over the summer! Last year I only read 126 books.)
  • Pages read for my Tween Lit class: 4814. Blog found here, project found here.
  • Pages read for my Teen Lit class: 13,255. These page counts don't count weekly journal articles and textbook reading, by the way. This is just literature for teens that I read. Ha. I didn't realize it was quite that high. Blog found here.
  • Top 5 favorite books of the year: 
    1. Dairy Queen, by Murdock.
    2. The Actor and the Housewife, by Shannon Hale.
    3. Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (and the rest of the series) by Bryan Lee O'Malley.
    4. Into the Wild Nerd Yonder, by Julie Halpern.
    5. Lips Touch: Three Times, by Laini Taylor.
  • Booklists that haven't led me wrong yet: Printz Honor and Medal Books; Cybil Awards. I can trust that anything nominated for these lists is pretty great.
  • Books I wish I could scrub from my mind because I hated them so much: Evermore, by Alyson Noel; The Princess Test, by Gail Carson Levine (I love her, I hated this book); Summer Boys, by Hailey Abbott.
  • TV shows that got me through the semester (and which you should absolutely watch if you aren't already): Glee, Parks and Recreation, Community, LOST (oh, how I'll miss you! Catch it on DVD).
  • Grades this semester (3 classes): A, A, A-. I feel pretty great about that.

  1. The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatije.
  2. We Who Are Alive and Remain, by Marcus Brotherton. An awesome follow-up read after you watch HBO's Band of Brothers.
  3. Carter Finally Gets It, by Brent Crawford. A great look at the mind of teen boys. How realistic is it? I'm not sure--it felt real to me (as a non-teenage girl).
  4. Dealing with Dragons, by Patricia C. Wrede. Re-read. Review here.
  5. How to Say Goodbye in Robot, by Natalie Standiford. Review here.
  6. Flash Burnout, by L.K. Madigan. Review here.
  7. Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow. Re-read. Review here.
  8. Candor, by Pam Bachorz. Review here.
  9. Shakespeare's Secret, by Elise Broach. Review here.
  10. Bodies from the Bog, by James Deem. Review here.
  11. Declare Yourself: Speak, Connect, Act, Vote. Review here.
  12. Dairy Queen, by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. I loved this book. If you pick up anything on this list, it should be this one. Review here.
  13. Angry Management, by Chris Crutcher. Review here.
  14. Just Ella, by Margaret Petersen Haddix. Review here.
  15. Spinners, by Donna Jo Napoli and Richard Tchen. Review here.
  16. Into the Wild Nerd Yonder, by Julie Halpern. Another great one. Review here.
  17. The Princess Test, by Gail Carson Levine. Review here.
  18. Zel, by Donna Jo Napoli. Review here.
  19. The Thirteenth Princess, by Diane Zahler. Review here.
  20. I'd Tell You I Love You, but Then I'd Have To Kill You, by Ally Carter. Review here.
  21. Airhead, by Meg Cabot. Review here.
  22. The Actor and the Housewife, by Shannon Hale. I stayed up until 4 am reading this one, crying like a baby. Sooo good.
  23. The Adoration of Jenna Fox, by Mary E Pearson. Review here.
  24. Fairest, by Gail Carson Levine. Review here.
  25. The Off Season, by Catherine Gilbert Murdock.
  26. Front and Center, by Catherine Gilbert Murdock.
  27. Into the Wild, by Sarah Durst.
  28. Max Hamm, Fairy Tale Detective, by Frank Camusso. Review here.
  29. Beautiful Creatures, by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. They get everything right in their creation of atmosphere. Review here.
  30. Ibby's Magic Weekend, by Heather Dyer. Review here.
  31. Queen Bee, by Chynna Clugston. Review here.
  32. Arab in America, by Toufic El Rassi. Review here
  33. Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen. Review here.
  34. Water: Tales of Elemental Spirits, by Robin McKinley and Peter Dickinson. Review here.
  35. Crank, by Ellen Hopkins. Review here.
  36. Monster, by Walter Dean Myers. Review here.
  37. Neptune Noir, edited by Rob Thomas.  Of course I loved it. How can you go wrong with analyses of Veronica Mars, one of the best TV shows of the decade?
  38. Lips Touch: Three Times, by Laini Taylor. Review here.
  39. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. Re-read.  Review here
  40. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, by Jack Finney. For a book more than 50 years old, it stands up remarkably well. 
  41. Criss Cross, by Lynne Rae Perkins. Celeste recommended this, and she's always right when it comes to book recommendations. Thanks, sis! Review here.
  42. Schooled, by Gordon Korman. Review here.
  43. The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate di Camillo. Review here
  44. Evermore, by Alyson Noel. Review here.
  45. Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney. Review here.
  46. Fever 1797, by Laurie Halse Anderson. Review here.
  47. Summer Boys, by Hailey Abbott. Review here.
  48. Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, by Bryan Lee O'Malley. So twee, yet so good! I can't wait for the movie. Review here.
  49. Fantastic Mr. Fox, by Roald Dahl. Re-read. Review here.
  50. Love, Football, and Other Contact Sports. Review here.
  51. Pirateology, by Dugald Steer. Review here.
  52. Parrotfish, by Ellen Wittlinger. 
  53. Tips on Having a Gay (ex) Boyfriend. The title explains it all. Review here.
  54. Geektastic, edited by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci. Review here.
  55. The Demon's Lexicon, by Sarah Rees Brennan. Review here.
  56. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, by Bryan Lee O'Malley
  57. Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness, by Bryan Lee O'Malley. How can you go wrong with a Smashing Pumpkins album as part of your title?
  58. Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together, by Bryan Lee O'Malley
  59. Scott Pilgrim vs. the Universe, by Bryan Lee O'Malley.
  60. Acceleration, by Graham McNamee.  Review here.
  61. Head Games, by Christopher Golden. Review here.
  62. American Born Chinese, by Gene Luen Yang. Review here.
  63. The Monstrumologist, by Rick Yancey. Review here.
  64. Just Listen, by Sarah Dessen. Review here.
  65. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, by Jacqueline Kelly. A great book. Review here.
  66. Body Bags, by Christopher Golden. Review here.
  67. A Great and Terrible Beauty. Review here.
  68. Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith. Review here.
  69. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. Highly recommended. Review here.
  70. The Case Against Adolescence, by Robert Epstein. 
  71. The Postmistress, by Sarah Blake. 
  72. Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green and David Levithan. So gay, but so good. But, you know. Super gay. Take that into account if you want to read it. What was I expecting--it's David Levithan! That's what he does best.
  73. An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green. Awesome. I went on a John Green binge and it was totally worth it.
  74. Looking for Alaska, by John Green
  75. Paper Towns, by John Green.
  76. Fire, by Robin McKinley and Peter Dickinson. Am I terrible if I admit that I only read the Robin McKinley parts? I had already renewed it 6 times at the library and I was ready to have it gone...The stories I read were great!
  77. Rapunzel's Revenge, by Shannon and Dean Hale, illustrated by Nathan Hale. Awesome.
Posted in | 0 Comments »

No comments: